A new law can help!

California’s Gun Violence Restraining Order (GVRO) gives law enforcement officers and family members a way to prevent gun violence through an expedient and civil process. If there is a strong likelihood that someone is at risk of harming themselves or others, a family or household member*, or law enforcement** may petition the local Superior Court clerk for a GVRO that can last from 21 days up to one year.

*Includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, stepparents, stepchildren, domestic partners, or roommates and other household members who have lived with the subject of the petition at some point within the last six months.

**Includes sheriff’s departments, police departments, and other law enforcement agencies.

As an attorney, you have an opportunity to advise or assist a client in obtaining a GVRO. A client may obtain a GVRO for a loved one or household member they are concerned about by filling out a petition and filling out the necessary paperwork. A client can also contact their local sheriff or police department about a dangerous situation and ask them to obtain a GVRO. In cases of immediate danger, law enforcement may request an emergency GVRO, which can be obtained at any time of day, even if the court is closed.