A new law can help!

California’s Gun Violence Restraining Order (GVRO) is a law that allows family and household members, and law enforcement officers to obtain a court order to prevent an at-risk person from accessing guns ammunition, and magazines, and temporarily prohibits that person from purchasing or obtaining any new guns, ammunition, or magazines*. The firearm removal and purchase restriction can last from 21 days to one year depending on the type of order, and what the judge thinks is appropriate. A one-year GVRO can be renewed before it expires if the danger still exists.

*Magazines are ammunition storage and feeding devices which can often be detached from a firearm.

Who can request a GVRO?

Family and household members* and law enforcement** officers can file a petition to obtain a GVRO with the Superior Court in which the person to be restrained resides. If you are a non-family caregiver or home visitor, you cannot petition directly for a GVRO (unless you are a conservator of the person or have lived in the same household as them within the last six months). However, if a client has risk factors such as an emotional crisis or dementia and is demonstrating signs of being dangerous such as suicidal ideation, aggression, public threats of violence, or is exhibiting other dangerous behaviors, you can consider contacting your local sheriff or police department, or advising a client’s family member about the GVRO.

*Includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, stepparents, stepchildren, domestic partners, or roommates and other household members who have lived with the subject of the petition within the last six months.

**Includes sheriff departments, police departments, and other law enforcement agencies.