How you can speak for safety

Family and household members* and law enforcement officers** may file a petition for a GVRO. As a professional fiduciary, you cannot petition directly for a GVRO (unless you are conservator of the person). However, if a client has risk factors such as an emotional crisis or dementia and is demonstrating signs of being dangerous such as suicidal ideation, aggression, public threats of violence, or is exhibiting other dangerous behaviors, you can consider contacting your local sheriff or police department, or advising a client’s family member about the GVRO. In cases of immediate danger, law enforcement may request a Temporary Emergency GVRO, which can be obtained at any time even when the court is closed.

*Includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, stepparents, stepchildren, domestic partners, or roommates and other household members who have lived with the subject of the petition within the last six months.

**Includes sheriff’s departments, police departments, and other law enforcement agencies.