How can a GVRO be served?

All types of gun violence restraining orders can be served by a sheriff or marshal for free (as required by California law). The Judicial Council of California recommends that “you should always ask your local law enforcement agency to serve your papers on the person you want to restrain” ( When serving the order, law enforcement will ask the subject for his or her firearms, magazines, and ammunition, and the subject must surrender them to the officer. The officer must then fill out a “Proof of Personal Service” form GV-200 and give it to you.